Sunday, September 28, 2008

Katelyn is --this-- close to reading

We have a bunch of magnetic letters that decorate the front of our refrigerator. The girls have only casually played with them, but I have refused to put them away for the fear that they’ll miss them or someday become excited about putting letters together to form words. Well, that day has come for Katelyn. She and I were standing in the kitchen and I put three letters together “c-a-t”. She looked at it and read “cat” out loud. So for the next several minutes, she and I played together with the letters. I would make three letter words and she would sound each letter out and then form the word. She read about a dozen words before she got bored. WOW! She has always loved books, but has never been interested in reading them herself. I’ve tried to have her sound out words before, but there has been very little interest. So I back off and figure that she’ll read – or at least have interest in learning to read – when she is ready. It’s like forcing your child to be potty trained when they just are not ready. But then something clicks one day and they are eager to use the big potty. For Katelyn, something has clicked and she is excited now about letters, the sounds that they make and the words that she can read when she puts those sounds together.

No comments:

Post a Comment