For me, puzzles are a challenge; they take me forever, I have to use the picture on the box as a reference the entire time, and eventually I just lose my patience. So I just don’t do them very often. And I am not even talking 1000-piece adult puzzles, but 100-piece children’s puzzles too. When I do a puzzle, I start by finding all of the edge pieces and then randomly pick-and-choose pieces until I find their place. I thought that this is how everyone does a puzzle.
Apparently not.
Katelyn was working on a puzzle of the United States today. This one, I feel, is much more complicated than a traditional puzzle, since only the edge pieces inter-lock and the middle pieces just line up next to each other. She has completed this puzzle only a handful of times before, and she is only four, so what are the odds that she would be able to finish this entire puzzle of the United States without the picture?
Apparently pretty good.
It was absolutely amazing to watch her compete this puzzle. The box sat with me the entire time, so I know she wasn’t looking at the picture. And no, we have not forced her to memorize each state’s location.
Then, she went on to do a large 100-piece puzzle, with a beautiful sea life picture. Watching her do this puzzle was just fascinating. She completed it row-by-row, usually starting out at the top, working her way down. She can see a piece and knows exactly where it fits. She has memorized “its place” among the entire puzzle, even after completing the puzzle just one time.
Photographic memory perhaps?
No comments:
Post a Comment