Katelyn came home from school recently with a new word: poop-po-head. I just laughed when I heard her say this (not in front of her of course), because she has really no idea what she is saying. It’s rather funny because she’ll just insert it into any sentence, whether it makes sense or not. She never uses it in a mean-spirited way, but more rather as a descriptive term. She has never before known such creative words and I contribute this new addition to her language database to one of her lovely little classmates.
It is completely natural for children to create these descriptive new words, or potty talk. In reality, that is what it is. At school, even though they have individual bathroom stalls, small groups go in at one time (and we wonder why as adults, females go to the restroom in groups, or at least a pair). So it is common for them to hear each other’s business and naturally carry some of those “bathroom words” into their normal conversations. And here at home, since we are in the beginning stages of potty-training with Vanessa, we are using these "potty" words more frequently (and often in a cutesy-manner, along with a clap and cheer).
Even though she is saying it with a joyful tone, I told her I did not like the word and that she had to go throw it into the trash can. She played along, getting up and going to the trash. She opened the door and said “poop-po-head go into the trash”.
But, I think maybe it escaped. Or one of poop-po-head’s relative.