This year, I was prepared. The girls had on their new Christmas dresses that Daddy had picked out, bows in the hair and pretty black shoes. The camera was ready and the video camera was sitting upon the tripod. I have posted some pictures here and as soon as I figure out how to download the video off of the video camera, I’ll post some video from tonight’s events.
At the beginning of the Early Preschool class’ performance, Vanessa ran up on stage. There was a group of children and several teachers sitting there, so I guess she decided to join them. There was no way I was going to be able to stop her without making a huge scene, so watched her as I clamped my jaw tightly shut. She sat down next to one of the teachers and acted like she belonged in the class. She clapped when everyone else did and looked interested in what was going on. She lasted a few songs until she came to find me.
I am completely stunned by Vanessa, as she joined in the activity and sat with the other children during their performance. It obviously took a lot of risk for her to be up there, but it also shows her comfort level at the school and with the teachers. And of course, she knew where her reassurance was located: sitting in the second row.
Then there was a visit from Santa. For the last few years, Katelyn has repeatedly told me that she does not like Santa. I have never forced the issue with her; after all, it is a rather strange custom that we have accepted: have your child talk and sit on the lap of a stranger. Every other day of the year we tell them not to talk or go with strangers. Yet, at Christmas-time, we force them too, and often pay money to the stranger too. And we wonder why they get confused!
From the moment Katelyn saw him, she was in my lap. My dad kept encouraging Katelyn to at least go talk to Santa and slowing they made their way closer to the stage. Katelyn and Vanessa were called to have a visit with Santa. Vanessa promptly refused, but Katelyn stood timidly in from of him for a few seconds. The next thing she knew, Santa had picked her up and she was sitting on his lap. She had a bit of a surprised and shocked facial expression, but that was immediately wiped clear with the question he asked her, “What do you want for Christmas?”
I am completely shocked that Katelyn had a visit with Santa. Personally, this isn’t a custom that I will continue to push. However, I am extremely proud of her tonight because she overcame her fears and went up to talk to him. You see, every time we see him, such as in the malls, she will make a wide circle to go around him, leaving a good 50 feet barrier between her and the man in the red suit. And what’s even more thrilling is to see her courage level double-over during this process. On the way home, she was telling Daddy how brave she was for sitting on his lap. And you know what, she was very brave.
Tonight was filled with wonderful memories and several firsts. I am always astonished by how fast the girls are growing and amazed when I look at the world through their eyes.