Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Well this has been fun (to be read with A LOT of sarcasm )

I haven’t posted in a few days because we’ve been testing out a new crash diet; it’s called the flu. Last week, Katelyn woke up from her sleep and started vomiting. Normally, I would have said that she just had a stomach bug and after she got it out of her system, she’d be better. Two hours later, she still wasn’t better. She was quickly becoming lethargic and could not keep sips of water down.

Into the ER we went, where Katelyn was given an IV. Three and a half hours later, they finally had to give her anti-nausea medicine. Since she couldn’t even keep the IV fluid down, and had now been vomiting for 5 ½ hours, she was becoming extremely dehydrated. The hospital will not discharge you until you can keep fluids down, so after they gave her the medicine, they still had to monitor her. Another 1 ½ hours later, we were finally able to go home.

That night I went to bed at a quarter to 5, as in 4:45 AM. The last time I was up “all night” was probably at a slumber party in junior high. And this time, I was not awake due to my own accord. I would have rather being spending most of my early morning hours painting nails, sharing gossip, eating junk food and watching movies. But instead, I was treated to a germ-filled, sterile and foul smelling ER room.

Bill and I had planned months ago to spend Saturday night in San Francisco and then catch Cirque Du Soleil on Sunday with his family to celebrate his mom’s birthday. Since our time together has been very limited lately, we both were looking forward to some quality uninterrupted time, taking in the holiday decorations in the City, getting some last minute shopping done and eating at a fabulous restaurant. My parents were still willing to take the girls, even Katelyn who was no longer vomiting, but still not well.

Saturday was a beautiful crisp day in the City. There wasn’t a cloud in the bright blue sky and it was wonderful to bundle up in a jacket and scarf, although that sounds completely odd since it was a blue sky. That evening, we had an “adult” dinner out; we dressed up (meaning, wore dry-clean-only clothes) and went to Greens (http://www.greensrestaurant.com/). It was FABULOUS! Our table was located right next to the large windows overlooking the marina and we each enjoyed our meal, consisting of items chosen from a pre-set menu. Who knew food could look so beautiful and taste so incredible without a hint of meat? Now, this was my kind of food, which is exactly what I told our Irish-accent waiter.

Driving back to the hotel, I started to not feel so well. I kept telling myself that it was the rich food, but a few hours later, as I was flushing my wonderful dinner down the porcelain throne, I knew I had caught Katelyn’s flu. What a bummer that was! But on the other hand, I got to enjoy a wonderful meal without keeping the calories. The rest of the evening was spent running between the bed and the bathroom...all while Bill slept peacefully.

I am almost fully recovered, but get tired easily and still have a low appetite. Katelyn is still not well: very low energy, almost no appetite, and now sinus congestion. She hasn’t been in any of her classes since last Wednesday and probably won’t be for the rest of this week. Needless to say, we are watching a lot of Clifford, Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph. I never thought I would be so tired of those old Christmas classic movies.