Thursday, November 8, 2007

Ready?

It's hard to believe that it's that time of year again. Just 47 days away! It always amazes me how fast we jump feet first right into the Holiday season. I was at the store the other day and heard Christmas music for the first time this season. And today, when I took the girls to the mall, they had it completed decorated in Holiday cheer. And if hearing and seeing all of this complete craze we are about to enter wasn't enough, I received 9 catalogs in the mail last week...all on one day.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE Christmas. I love this time of year. I like bundling up and going outside, especially to play in the snow when we can. I enjoy the music and the warm cups of coffee on those cold night while driving around looking at the Christmas lights. I am excited to be able to share and pass on traditions with my daughters, and start new ones just for our family. And I do love the gift giving; I enjoying thinking about the gift receiver and buying them something that they'll enjoy or wanted. And yes, I do love all of the catalogs that I get daily now (I am a huge fan of online shopping). In my family, we do also celebrate the religion aspect of this holiday, which is actually rather fun to teach and re-learn with children.

I've been asked recently for my Christmas wish-list. Honestly, I don't know what I want. Yes, I would enjoy some new things, but that's just it, they are "things". Of course though, if you have a new couch you would like to give me this year, I won't offend you by turning it down (dark brown leather, one smaller love-seat and a larger sofa preferred).

I want my daughters to have friends, be happy, have good manners and be well-liked. I want them to thrive in school and constantly grow. I want to be able to understand Vanessa in the midst of one of her screaming fits. I want Katelyn to enjoy life and not worry about the little details, leaving them up to us. I want Bill to keep growing strong and thrive as our leader. Mostly, I want to remember to stay in the moment, seeing this season through the eyes of my girls...how those lights twinkle, how scary Santa Clause can be, how much fun it is to make cookies with holiday sprinkles, how special we feel getting dressed-up for a family gathering, how loved we really are.