Monday, November 19, 2007

Can I put "a tree" on my Christmas list?

We put up Christmas lights this afternoon…yep; it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, the unofficial day when you can officially start to decorate for Christmas. But, it’s only a few days away and we’ll be busy the next few days, so if we didn’t do it today, December 22nd would be our next opportunity to do so.

Just so you know, we are not the only house with lights up. Coming back from the store tonight, I noticed that we were the 4th house to have started the holiday cheer already. The last few years, our light-hanging ability has really been poor. It’s not the light hanger, but the light bulbs and strands. Really! We have these old teeny-tiny lights that no matter what you do to them, some light bulbs point straight into the air, other straight down and the rest straight out. And then within a week, the strands, which were taught before, have now begun to swoop. And I hate swoops! I would rather have light bulbs pointing all over the place than swooping strands.

So this year, we purchased LED colored lights. They are great because they are more energy efficient, stay cool and, so far, hang well. And, you can see them a mile away. Who needs street lights when houses hang these lights? You could read a magazine outside at 11pm and see each fine print word just fine. I’m sure airplanes flying overhead can see our house now. They are so cool!

While we were outside watching Bill complete this project, Katelyn was riding her bikes and Riley was having fun playing on the grass (while tied to the fence). The other day, I was outside with the girls and Riley and they were doing similar things. In the midst of riding her bike, Katelyn turned to me and said “Mommy, it would be fun if someday we could have a playground in our own big backyard.” Right now, our backyard is about 10 feet by 10 feet. Of cement. No plants. No trees. Nothing. Just cement and the tall wood fence that runs between our house and our neighbor’s. Ok, let me correct myself. We also have 50,000 gallons of water.

Our front yard does have grass, a whole 12 foot by 12 foot square, with one side edged by a 3 foot drop onto the sidewalk. And a few plants, 7 to be exact.

I would love to be able to provide my girls with a playground in their own back and space for Riley to run free. I would love grass and maybe a tree or two or three. I would love some space – and more than 10 feet of usable room. So many things I would love to be able to provide for them. It’s not that I am not grateful for what we do have, because I am. I am very blessed to have a home, food and clothing for the girls and beautiful weather most days.

But sometimes I wonder…is there more out there?