Sunday, May 13, 2012

Katelyn's First Holy Communion

Isn't she beautiful!  Last Sunday morning we celebrated Katelyn's First Communion. She and her class had been preparing for this very special day over the last few months and she was very excited (and a bit nervous) that it was finally here. 
We purchased numerous dresses to choose from, finally agreeing on a tea-length one with sleeves and small beads and embroidery on the top.  Finding a dress that she liked, and that I felt was appropriate for church was actually rather challenging.  So many of the "First Communion" dresses were so elaborate, much like a wedding gown, or had thin spaghetti straps that I didn't feel an 8-year-old should be wearing to church for this event. 

I thought finding shoes would have been easier, but that seemed a bit of a challenge too.  I searched all the online shoe stores that I know of and finally had 11 pairs of shoes sent to the house!  I know it sounds silly, but I wasn't sure of her size or how they would fit her.  Plus, I, once again, was particular on what I felt a child should wear and not wear (as in, I don't think they need to wear high-heal wedge-type slip-on shoes).  Katelyn was able to narrow it down to one dressy pair for the church service and a pair of cute while sandals for the party afterwards. 

My mom made her vail which was beautiful and very special.  It was simple, yet fancy, and fit Katelyn's personality perfectly.   
Beautiful girl waiting for her big moment
Moments after receiving her Fist Holy Communion
Katelyn, proud Mommy and Daddy, and Fr. Chris

Notice in many of the pictures that Katelyn has her hands close together near her heart.  We gave her a beautiful cross necklace as her First Communion gift and throughout the entire service, she kept her hands on the cross.  I'm not sure if she was just really nervous and it was comforting to her, or if it was just so new that she was still caught up in the novelty of it.  She wears this necklace every day and only takes it off for soccer.  I'm proud that she wants to wear it and publicly display her beliefs.

We had a nice luncheon at home afterwards.  I think Katelyn felt very special and it was nice that for one day she could be the center of attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment