Thursday, January 29, 2009

THREE!

Happy Birthday Vanessa!
A few days ago, you turned THREE! What an incredible year this has been for you. A year ago, you were talking in one or two word sentences, still relying on Mommy to translate, and using ASL as a means to get what you wanted. And now, you have an enormous vocabulary, enjoy singing, and at times, I cannot get you to be quiet. I feel that early intervention has been one of the biggest blessings that we were able to provide you. You were denied from the school district for services after three and I am not sure if that is a blessing or not. We are going to continue with several of the sessions that we had already been doing, but now we are more flexible to do what we want and not what the county is telling us to do.
Watching your personality develop has brought a smile to my face. You are funny! There is no kidding about that. Almost every picture we take of you, you are making a funny face. The things you say and do, will often make your Daddy and me laugh. You are my fireball! But I love your intensity and passion, although when you were a baby crying for hours on end, I don’t think I would have felt the exact same way. However now, you are able to channel it in a different way.
For the last few months, we have been building up your third birthday. On this special day, all bottles were to be gone from your life. This was a very difficult decision for me to force upon you, however one that is in your best interest. A few months back, a child therapist recommended that we let you keep the morning bottle, as your still needed that comfort and were “stuck” in infancy with regards to the bottle. So every day, you received one bottle of milk in the morning. On the other hand, I had your speech therapist upset that we were still giving it to you. So either way, your Mommy got into trouble by one person for you. Turning three however, was a big milestone and one that we could use as a transition into no more bottles. So on the morning of your third birthday, Daddy gave you a bottle without realizing what he was doing, until I came into the room. I asked you what was supposed to happen that day and what was in your hand. You gave me a cute smile, a little laugh and threw up your hand, as if to say “Oh yah, I forgot, I turn THREE today!” You walked over and put your bottle into the sink, without any prompting. Daddy and I just looked at each other and smiled. We were so proud of you for making that decision yourself and taking responsibility. It hasn’t been a walk in the park every morning without your bottle of milk, but it is getting easier as each day passes.
Swinging is still a favorite activity of yours, but riding your “big girl” bike is a new love of yours. What impresses me the most is that you are really good on your bike. You can now ride to the park or around the block without any assistance. Going for walks is much easier now that you can get there yourself. You love to play in the water, no matter how cold it is outside. If I am outside washing the car or watering the flowers, you will join me in your swimsuit eager to help. You are still a climber, as you always have been. When you want it, you go get it. Perhaps rock climbing is in your future…while wearing a princess dress. You are so girly; I have to double check to make sure you are really my daughter. Every day is a princess day. Your favorite is Snow White, but you’ll wear any princess dress, often changing multiple times. And your outfit cannot be complete without your earrings, rings and purses. You’ve gone everywhere in your formal wear and always get the most compliments.
One big milestone that you recently reached was being potty trained. I tried to get to this point a long time ago, but realized that you just were not ready for it. The more I forced it, that more it wasn’t happening. So I backed off. This last November, you started showing signs that you were interested. And within a short amount of time, you were out of day-time diapers. Of course, Santa brought you some new big-girl panties because Mrs. Claus was so happy with you.
As I look back over this last year and try to sum up your life into a few paragraphs, I realize how much you have grown and changed in these last 12 months. Like how you are now able to use a spoon, not just a fork. And drink from a cup without spilling. And put your shoes on by yourself (although often backwards, but nonetheless, they are on). And you have more interest in books and will sit while I read one to you. And you love to follow your sister, driving her crazy, whereas prior you wanted nothing to do with her. And you can now buckle your carseat by yourself. And your food intake consists of more than just chicken nuggets. And you enjoy playing with some toys and other children. And you desire to do things yourself. And I can leave you for periods of time. And how much of a little girl you are becoming.
I am overjoyed watching you grow and change and blossom into a little person. While I am happy that I can now take some personal time, I still love the fact that you love me so much you never want to leave my side. I know that when you are a teenager, that story may not be true anymore. So in the meantime, I might as well take all the kisses and hugs while I can get them.
I love you always. Happy Birthday!
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment