Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"The Greatest Show on Earth"...or something like that

My sister-in-law Jennifer and I took the girls to the Circus this weekend. It was a new experience for all of us, although my mom tells me that I went when I was very little and since I have no memory of that joyous event, I am considering this my first Circus. I know Vanessa won’t remember much of it and Katelyn will only remember her favorite parts, but exposing my children to the vast world is something that I am striving to accomplish as a mother. I look back at our outings and activities this summer and can almost see the memories forming in the girls’ hearts and hear their minds trying to understand the world around them. And the Circus was just another avenue of, well...fun, laughter, silliness and risk taking. On the way home, I asked the girls what their favorite part of the performance was. Katelyn thought that the man walking upside-down hooking his feet into loops hanging from a beam high in the ceiling was cool – although she was a little concerned because he didn’t have a net or rope attached, so what would happen if he fell? Good question and one that I avoided to answer truthfully. And her second favorite part is also Vanessa’s favorite…the elephants. Not just the elephants, but what they were doing. Pooping. And peeing. On the show’s floor. And then one sat in it, which just got the girls into hysterics. Bodily functions of animals…what a precious memory we made together that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment