When I need to get the girls attention, or really want them to listen to what I am saying, I’ll ask them to “turn their ears on”. They both reach towards each ear and make a “click” sound, signaling that they are on. It’s something that they both picked up on their own and think it’s hilarious that they can turn their ears “on”.
Yesterday, Vanessa realized that she could turn them “off” too.
We were in the middle of the grocery store and she decided to get out of the cart and take a walk. I don’t mind her walking around, but as long as she stays near and that I can see her. But we were in the produce section and I can never see her on the other side of the tall displays so asked her to stay close by. She stopped, looked at me, reached up towards each ear and gave each ear a “click”. She said “off”, turned around and walked away.