Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What would you do?

What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? If you had no fear about the possible negative ramifications, would you try something new? Would you explore new options and endeavors? Would you try something that you have always wanted to, something that you kept saying “in your next life” you’d do? Or would you stay where you are; in the same comfortable place and surroundings?

Today is the beginning of something new…a new year. And for many of us, a new year of promises, or resolutions, to yourself: Eat less and exercise more; Catch up with friends more; Visit your grandmother frequently; Spend time smelling the roses and watching the sun set; Play; Laugh. The list can often be endless.

I am one that seldom makes promises. Why? Because I would not be comfortable if I could not keep that promise and had to break my word. I have only made one promise that I am aware of recently, after not making any for the past several years. This one promise is to Katelyn. This promise is, of course, not as simple as she might think and is rather full of other implications, which I am not going to digress into at this time, otherwise I’ll be typing all night. Anyways, outside of this one promise to her, I tend not to be one to make new year resolutions mostly because I know that I won’t follow through with it and will ultimately fail - failing only myself, I am fully aware of, but nonetheless, still failing. And for us Type-A personalities, failure is rather difficult to digest.

I think that I am like most people and have a fear of failing. This quote, “What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?”, was printed on a candle and given as a Christmas gift to my Aunt. It has been sitting in the back of my mind waiting to find the right time to be digested. And now as we sit upon an entire year ahead of us, I reflect back over the past year’s highs and lows and think what I could have done or should have done. Hindsight is great, but unfortunately, you cannot redo the past.

If I had no chance of failing, would I live my life differently? Maybe I would laugh a little more, take a few more chances or risks, and push myself a little harder and further. Maybe I would do more – do more snuggling instead of yelling, do more friendly phone calls and coffee visits, do more to bring romance into my marriage, do more to encourage Katelyn, do more to relate to Vanessa, do more to have a comfortable home, do more to live “greener”, do more to have “me” time. Not just try, but do.

Recently, I wrote about my Plastic Bag Challenge http://onefamilysjourney.blogspot.com/2007/12/up-for-challenge.html . I was hesitant about taking on this challenge for fear that I may forget my reusable bags one trip and have to default to the store’s bags. I decided to try something new and explore the world by being a little “greener”. In addition, I have come to realize that this challenge that I have begun is just that, a challenge. So what if I forget my reusable bags one trip! It’s just a challenge and an opportunity to try something new.

Bill says that I often write or post quotes about not settling for “normal”, trying new adventures and not accepting “average”. I guess this is true and it’s just my way of encouraging me and others to keep going even though failure lingers in the background. This quote has made me realize that it’s about the journey – whatever each of us make of it.

What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?