Dear Vanessa,
You are “tu”! The fact that you even say your age, just amazes me. And what leaps and bounds you have made in this last year. From being frightened of everything in the entire universe and having very little verbal sounds, to now being willing to take more risks and combining approximations, gestures and ASL to communicate…your wings are staring to open and I can see the beautiful butterfly within. I wouldn’t want to change who you are, even though a few less stretch marks on my arms (from carrying you all the time) would be nice or a few less tears of frustration over you, but those are the things that make you who you are and have created the bond that we have.

You are one that will challenge me in a different way than your sister has ever. For example, you will push a chair up to the kitchen counter, climb up onto the counter, open the cabinet and help yourself to whatever you’d like. Or if you want a package opened and I am not moving fast enough for you, you will climb up onto the counter to get the scissors and open the package yourself. Child-proofing the house has become impossible. You are still picky about what you will eat, so I am learning to relax my “proper eating” philosophy with you. By me not stressing over you sitting down at the table and/or eating a “proper” meal, life is becoming a bit easier in that area.

So often you want to be just like your sister…if she’s dressing up like a princess, you want to too. If she is doing an art project involving paint and glitter, you want to have fun too. Since we sometimes put fancy hair accessories in her hair, we now have to put one in your hair…everyday. You love her so much and want to help her out that you will offer to bring her vitamin to her when we give you yours. But somehow, the vitamin never makes it to Katelyn. The same goes true for a bowl of M&M’s, a frozen chicken nugget (yes, you eat them frozen) or a special treat.

Winnie the Pooh, or just “Poo”, and Clifford the Big Red Dog, or “big dog”, are your favorite characters at the moment. When you pick out a book to read or a movie to watch, it’s always about one of these friendly guys. In fact, there have been many nights when you have gone to sleep with your “Poo” figurine. And you recently received a Clifford stuffed dog that I am sure will join you in bed in a few days. You LOVE animals, especially horses, and therefore I am predicting that we will own one one day because of your obsession for them.

Swinging is a favorite activity of yours. It brings you a peace and comfort that is sometimes not otherwise there. It provides you an opportunity to organize your world and process all that you are taking in. I recently moved the rocking chair into the living room and you and I are often sitting together rocking, for much of the same reasons you enjoy swinging. On a particularly difficult day, you will often ask for “mil” and “rock”.
You make your Daddy and me very happy, as we see you blossoming more and more with each passing day. You make us laugh and cry and drink wine.
Happy Birthday Sweet Pea!
I love you.
Love,
Mommy (Mama)