As told by Katelyn…
My Papa took me to the fish store last week to buy some new fish for a larger tank he had gotten me for my room. We came home with 3: one black female Molly, one yellow male Molly, and one yellow Balloon-Molly (who we didn’t know was a female or male). I love my new tank; it’s larger than my last one, much quieter and all my fish seem to get along well.
I went into my room today to see how my new fish were doing. Mommy saw me staring at the tank and asked me what I was looking at. Our conversation went something like this…
Mommy: What are you looking at?
Katelyn: The baby fish. (Mommy comes over to the tank to take a look.)
M: Where is she?
K: Down there.
M: OMG!!!! BILL!!!
Mommy quickly noticed that there was a teeny-tiny fish resting on the rocks at the bottom of the tank. Then she quickly looked up to see that the Balloon-Molly fish, who is now apparently a FEMALE, was giving birth. And then, right then…the black female ATE one of the babies…right before our eyes! And then the yellow-male ATE ANOTHER ONE!
M: BILL!!!! QUICK! GET THE FISH NET! GET A BOWL OF WATER! THEY’RE EATING THE BABIES!
I started to run around after my Mommy and Daddy in all of the excitement, yelling along with them…hey, they were my fish after all, and why couldn't’t I join in on the excitement? Luckily, we were able to scoop out the other two big fish before they had any more baby-snacks.
So for the next 30 minutes, Mommy, Daddy and I were glued to my fish tank and watched this amazing process. It was so cool to see that many baby fish come from the mommy fish’s tummy.
But now, we had 23 baby fish that could not be in the same tank as the adult fish…so off to the aquarium store we went! $150 later we were back home with a new tank set up in Vanessa’s room, the new home to the three adult Molly fish.
Mommy keeps telling me that I saved all of my baby fish, because if I hadn’t notice the teeny-tiny baby amongst the rocks, perhaps none would have survived.
Aren't they cute? (I'll try to take some better pictures for you tomorrow, but it's hard because they are SO tiny.)


My Papa took me to the fish store last week to buy some new fish for a larger tank he had gotten me for my room. We came home with 3: one black female Molly, one yellow male Molly, and one yellow Balloon-Molly (who we didn’t know was a female or male). I love my new tank; it’s larger than my last one, much quieter and all my fish seem to get along well.
I went into my room today to see how my new fish were doing. Mommy saw me staring at the tank and asked me what I was looking at. Our conversation went something like this…
Mommy: What are you looking at?
Katelyn: The baby fish. (Mommy comes over to the tank to take a look.)
M: Where is she?
K: Down there.
M: OMG!!!! BILL!!!
Mommy quickly noticed that there was a teeny-tiny fish resting on the rocks at the bottom of the tank. Then she quickly looked up to see that the Balloon-Molly fish, who is now apparently a FEMALE, was giving birth. And then, right then…the black female ATE one of the babies…right before our eyes! And then the yellow-male ATE ANOTHER ONE!
M: BILL!!!! QUICK! GET THE FISH NET! GET A BOWL OF WATER! THEY’RE EATING THE BABIES!
I started to run around after my Mommy and Daddy in all of the excitement, yelling along with them…hey, they were my fish after all, and why couldn't’t I join in on the excitement? Luckily, we were able to scoop out the other two big fish before they had any more baby-snacks.
So for the next 30 minutes, Mommy, Daddy and I were glued to my fish tank and watched this amazing process. It was so cool to see that many baby fish come from the mommy fish’s tummy.
But now, we had 23 baby fish that could not be in the same tank as the adult fish…so off to the aquarium store we went! $150 later we were back home with a new tank set up in Vanessa’s room, the new home to the three adult Molly fish.
Mommy keeps telling me that I saved all of my baby fish, because if I hadn’t notice the teeny-tiny baby amongst the rocks, perhaps none would have survived.
Aren't they cute? (I'll try to take some better pictures for you tomorrow, but it's hard because they are SO tiny.)