Sunday, September 13, 2009

A BIG summer for Katelyn

So since I have not posted in awhile, ok a very long while, I have a lot to catch up on. It will take me a few days, but I’ll get it done. I get a lot of positive feedback from family and friends about this site, which is so good because I never know who, if anyone, is actually reading it. Even if no one reads, at least I will have made my best attempt at capturing special moments so that later on when my children are grown, they can have a book of stories of their lives. I wish I was one of those super crafty moms who can throw a scrap book together and have it look absolutely amazing, but I’m not. Let’s not kid ourselves here…I can plan a party, but cannot seem to write a single thing in a baby book.
Summer is over and Fall is approaching. As I write this, it is raining outside – the first for this Fall season. We are back to school and schedules, soccer practice and dance class and all of the drama that change brings upon children: up early and melt-downs around 5 PM, second-week-of-school-colds, trying to get out of the door with hair brushed and matching shoes on…on time.
For Katelyn, it has been quite an exciting few months. She learned how to swim, although as her Mommy , she still makes me very nervous. By next Summer, she’ll be doing laps in the pool without any worries. During our time at the Lake, she was able to have the adventure and new experience of riding a horse. This was her first time riding and absolutely fell in love with it. She rode around the meadow several times and then was fortunate enough to go out on a few trial rides. I am excited that she challenged herself at trying something new, especially since horses can be a bit intimating due to their size. We’ll have to hold our breath for the next few years at which point in time she’ll start begging for riding lessons and then a horse of her own. Perhaps instead of the BMW that her Daddy has promised her at 16, she’ll get a horse.
In early July, while Bill and I were out of town visiting my best friend Jessie, Katelyn lost her first tooth up at the Lake. She was so excited, but didn’t want the Tooth Fairy to come until we got home to see her tooth. So she wrote a note to the Tooth Fairy telling her (yes, in our home, the Tooth Fairy is a HER!) to come back on Monday when Mommy and Daddy get home. And guess what? The next morning, the note was gone from under her pillow! Amazing how that works :-) And apparently, there is some special magic about being up there becuase she also learned how to ride a two-wheeler! It only took a few tries with someone running next to her before he confidence took off just as she did down the street. And check out those fancy toes...of course we had to visit the local nail spa while there too.
Katelyn’s most recent excitement is that she started KINDERGARTEN! She has been waiting for this for months and months. She is absolutely adorable in her school uniform, and thank GOD for uniforms because on those mornings when we are running a tad late (Me, late? Never!), I can get her dressed while half asleep. For the past two weeks, her school day was only half day, but starting tomorrow, she’ll go all day. I know that this will be a very long day for her and we’ll probably have a massive melt-down, but once she gets adjusted, I think that this will be a good thing. Several of her friends go to a different school and each of them have said that they don’t get enough play time or time to do fun things. Since Katelyn goes all day, her class has more opportunities to do those fun things. She has music and art and Spanish, as well as the traditional academic subjects. Once a week, she has to bring in her sharing box with an item representing the letter of the week. She has three clues to give the class. For this week, her clues are 1)they can be round 2)they can be big or little 3)they are a tasty treat. Answer? Crispy Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies (5 C’s in that one…we did good this week!). I am truly amazed at how much of a little sponge she is. In the first two weeks of school, she has already learned the Hail Mary, the Pledge of Allegiance, and the song This Land is Your Land. They learn a little bit each day and before they know it, they’ve learned the entire thing. Choosing a school for your child is never easy, but I am very confident that we made a good choice for her and am very satisfied with our decision.
She is now playing on the local youth soccer league and is enjoying it. Practice makes for REALLY long days for her, but she is fast asleep when her head touches the pillow. Bill is super excited that she is playing soccer, but she’ll have big shoes to fill if she follows her Daddy in this sport. I just hope she has fun and tires her best.

No comments:

Post a Comment